Sunday, 22 June 2008

My Favourite Things- Apple Strudel

Apple strudel is a famous Austrian dessert though some said it's originated from German. i am pretty sure it's of Austrian origin as my first strudel was eaten when I was in Austria in year 1994. We had a dinner at the vineyard and the dessert served was a slice of apple strudel. Much anticipation was given when our tour guide told us that this is a must-eat traditional dish from Austria. Anyway, it tasted almost like an apple pie, nothing like the one that you find in Malaysia. Another evidence is the movie "Sound of Music" with background of an Austrian family. In the sound track of the "Sound of Music" -"My Fourite Things", the apple strudel was also mentioned.

So much about the history of apple strudel...let me tell you a little about my discovery today. Checked my fridge today and noticed there are still many apples in the fruits compartment and also a stack of leftover popiah wrappers. Rather heartsick as most of my family members, including myself are just too lazy to munch on these green apples as they are both hard and sour. I am excusable cos I have weak gums. But I can't bear to see the apple go aging..and rot away. By the way, the popiah skins was since CNY...Hey, what these 2 combinations could turn out to be?? With my creativity, I decided to make them into "Orientalised Strudel". The replacement for the filo pastry is in fact my left over popiah skins. The result is almost similar to the apple strudel, but less oily. If you have leftover apples in your fridge and you have sweet tooth, you may do the same like me ...

Ingredients:

Green apples - 6 nos
Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
Butter - 100g
Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
Cornstarch - 1 tbsp

Popiah wrappers - 24 pieces

Preparing the fillings:
1. Core and slice the apples
2. Melt 70g (2/3 of the portion used) of butter with a non-stick pan.
3. Put the apple slices in and fry till soft.
4. Mix the sugar in together with the cinnamon powder.
5. The original recipe requires the thickener to be mixed with lemon juice. But since my green apples are real sour, I skipped the lemon juice. So I just mix cornflour with some water and use it to thicken my apple fillings.
6. Cool the fillings once it is cooked.

Methods to "assemble" the popiah wrapper as a mock filo pastry:
1. Brush some butter on a piece of popiah wrapper.
2. Cover with another popiah wrapper.
3. Brush another layer of butter and cover with another piece of popiah skin.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to get 4 layer of popiah skins stacked up together.
5. Put some fillings in. Fold and seal the edges.
6. Preheat oven to 200 degree celcius for 10 min.
7. Put the pastry on a baking dish lined with non-stick paper.
8. Bake for 20-25 min.
9. Sprinkle with some icing sugar before serving.
10. Watch your tongue, the filling is piping hot!!

Variation:
You may add some roasted almond flakes into the filings.
You may also soak some raisins into rum for 3 hours and mix the fillings.
The end product can be served with vanilla ice-cream or you may decorate by pressing some whipping cream florets on top for serving in a tea party.


Step-by step picture guide:

Get ready all the ingredients, apple, butter, cinnamon powder and brown sugar.


Cook the fillings-Melt butter, add in apple and fry under low fire. Add in brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Lastly, mix some water with cornstarch to thicken the fillings.

Prepare the "filo" skin. You need 4 layers of popiah skin. Brush butter on each layer and stack up the 4 sheets together

Spread the filling

Fold into rectangular shape. Wet the edges with some water to seal it.


Put the pastries in a baking dish lined with non-stick paper. Set to 200 degree celcius. Bake for 25 min or longer to brown.

Sprinkle some icing sugar before serving

Crispy texture, and not oily too..enjoy..