Friday, 5 December 2008

A Smiley Faced Moon

I was half way into my dinner on the first night of Dec08 when I received a call from a friend who asked me to take a look of the moon then as it looked extraordinary. As the saying goes, curiosity could kill a cat.. I walked out from the house instantly gazing at the west and east of the sky but then there was no sight of this extraordinary moon at all. Flushed in anxiety and excitements, I decided to drive out to the nearby field hunting for the moon like a treasure to unveil the mystery.


Smile..and the world will smile back at you





Hey! There you are.. a smiley faced moon. It was such a quirky phenomenon as it has never occurred to me that the moon actually smiling at the world.

Coincidentally two stars were hanging above the moon made the face looked even more comical-it looked exactly like the emotioncon-Smiley. Yet, the gentle and soft glows emitted by the moon and stars filled the air with auspicious mood and blissful energy. It was such a wondrous experience having had a chance to witness this heart-warming scene. It was indeed a celestial sign in a time of gloom and doom and when there's a lot of fear and strife in the world.

Immediately I feel like telling the whole world to catch a glimpse of this smiley faced moon. I rushed home in lightning speed to fetch my family members. However, when I returned to the field in less than 10 minutes, sadly, there was no sign of the smiley face anymore. Thick cloud has covered the moon and stars. This reminds me of the Chipsmore commercial-"now you see it, now you are not!"

That was indeed a manifestation on the theory of impermanence. Somehow we couldn't deny the fact that everything comes into beings through causes and conditions and it illusorily exists. Nothing stays forever and there is nothing that we could hold on to perpetually. Be it an object or feeling and no matter how precious it is towards us. I immediately realised that it was this feeling of disappointment that I must learn to let go of.

Impermanence is taken place every moment. It is always arising, growing and dying. The whole episode of searching for the moon, seeing the moon and seeing the moon disappeared is the manifestations on the process of impermanence. Same goes with the feelings. It was invoked and it is dying off. There was actually nothing to hold on to, be it excitement, joy, sadness or disappointment. Our ordinary eyes can't notice the process of arising and dying. But it is happening every moment. Just like our body cells, it grows, multiplies and turns into dead cells every now and then. So there is really no past or future. The most important moment is always now. Live now and be mindful to watch our speech, action and mind in order not create any unfavorable causes that warrant the unfavorable consequences.

I am so grateful to the smiley faced moon coz it was there to remind me to continue with the path of cultivation.

Metta to all...

0 comments:

Post a Comment